Csöde

In 1342 the village was known as Chede. It is now divided into two parts, Alsócsöde (Lower Csöde) and Felsőcsöde (Upper Csöde). Alsócsöde, a small hamlet on the hillside, has been around for a long time, while Felsőcsöde developed only during the 18th and the 19th century. The battered remains of a mediaeval church can be found west of Alsócsöde. The church and its monastery belonged to the Salomvári family, the descendants of land-steward Solomon. The 15th century saw the establishment of a village named Szentmárton located at the foot of the hill. One of Władysław III of Varna’s (king of Hungary from 1440 to 1444) charters was drafted here, back in 1441. Following the Battle of Mohács the parsons of the village stayed on for a few more decades. In 1600 the fall of Kanizsa Castle had far-reaching consequences for the neighbouring areas: they were now taxed by the Ottoman Empire. The building was left abandoned and eventually fell into ruins. In 1657 Captain Bernát Csány had the stones moved to Őriszentpéter in order to fortify
the church of the town. The church can be found or by following the yellow ’L’ sign from Alsócsöde.
The road leading to Zalalövő passes near Pacsa-hegy, its name referring to an abandoned village named Pacsa. Its inhabitants were watchmen in the age of the Árpáds. In the vineyard on the hill, near the road, there is the statue of Saint Urban. Saint Urban, similarly to Saint Martin of Tours, is the patron saint of those active in the wine industry.

Csöde is a station located along Via Sancti Martini, which leads to Tours, France. This pilgrimage road pays tribute to a major saint in European Christianity, St Martin, who was born in Savaria, today’s Szombathely, in either 316 or 317 AD. Martin was passing through this area when he left his hometown to visit first Italy then Gallia. As a soldier he met a beggar at the gates to the city of Amiens, and he tore his cloak in two and gave one half to the beggar to express his sympathy with the poor and the needy. Later he left the army and set out on a route of pilgrimage; he organised Christian communities and founded a monastery. On his return to Savaria he converted his mother to Christianity. In 371 he was elected bishop of Tours. Because of his great kindness, his benevolence to people and the miracles attributed to him he enjoyed a special esteem and respect. He died in 397.

The St. Martin's stations within walking trail following distances:
Csöde - Szatta (6 km) - Ramocsa (10 km) - Kerkáskápolna (12 km)
Csöde - Zalalövő (6 km)

Related gallery

Migratory route recommendation
Learn more about the Events and
Attractions on Facebook!
Galleries
Ják

The St George Abbey of Ják was founded by Marthinus Magnus de Jaak in cca. 1220, and it was consecrated in 1256. Its magnificent recessed doorway is the finest example of Hungary’s Romanesque architecture. The monastery, built adjacent to the church but destroyed in the late 16th century, was the home of Benedictine monks.   .....

 

 

Photos
Contribute and show Your experience!
Community
Join St. Martin,
walk the paths traveled by!