Ják

The St George Abbey of Ják was founded by Marthinus Magnus de Jaak in cca. 1220, and it was consecrated in 1256. Its magnificent recessed doorway is the finest example of Hungary’s Romanesque architecture. The monastery, built adjacent to the church but destroyed in the late 16th century, was the home of Benedictine monks. The Ják dynasty came to an end in the mid-1600s, and the building was handed over to Elderbach Berchtold, then later to the Erdődy family. The church, which had repeatedly suffered severe damage over the centuries, was restored between 1896 and 1904 by the National Board of Monument Protection.
The two-storey St James Chapel, renowned for its four-foiled floor plan, was built around 1250-1260. It served as the community’s church as long as St George church was in Benedictine possession and was also used as a place of accommodation for pilgrims during the Middle Ages. In the Apati House, near the church, there is an exhibition on local history displaying the documents of the building procedure of the church over the centuries and the historical past of the village.
Attention! Visitors are warned that the pathway leading through the Szentpéterfa forest can only be walked during the day, as it is a wildlife management area.

Ják is a station located along Via Sancti Martini, which leads to Tours, France. This pilgrimage road pays tribute to a major saint in European Christianity, St Martin, who was born in Savaria, today’s Szombathely, in either 316 or 317 AD. Martin was passing through this area when he left his hometown to visit first Italy then Gallia. As a soldier he met a beggar at the gates to the city of Amiens, and he tore his cloak in two and gave one half to the beggar to express his sympathy with the poor and the needy. Later he left the army and set out on a route of pilgrimage; he organised Christian communities and founded a monastery. On his return to Savaria he converted his mother to Christianity. In 371 he was elected bishop of Tours. Because of his great kindness, his benevolence to people and the miracles attributed to him he enjoyed a special esteem and respect. He died in 397.

The St. Martin's stations within walking trail following distances:
Ják - Bolygó-stream (3 km) - Szent Márton-forest (5 km.) - Csupor-villa (7 km) - Szombathely, Kálvária (14 km)
Ják - Ójáki road - Szentpéterfai forest(5 km) - Nagykölked (13 km) - Harasztifalu (15 km)

Related gallery

Migratory route recommendation
Learn more about the Events and
Attractions on Facebook!
Galleries
Ják

The St George Abbey of Ják was founded by Marthinus Magnus de Jaak in cca. 1220, and it was consecrated in 1256. Its magnificent recessed doorway is the finest example of Hungary’s Romanesque architecture. The monastery, built adjacent to the church but destroyed in the late 16th century, was the home of Benedictine monks.   .....

 

 

Photos
Contribute and show Your experience!
Community
Join St. Martin,
walk the paths traveled by!