Kercaszomor

Kercaszomor is a community, created from the unity of Kerca and Szomoróc in 1942, where most of the locals are Calvinists. Sights in the village that can be visited along the route:
- a cemetery with wooden tomb crosses called “sökfa” by the locals, a simplified grave marker used by Calvinists in the Őrség region.
- a Calvinist wooden belfry - a log-walled building from 1877
- Pusztatemető, the remains of St Wenceslas church. The church was mentioned in a document as early as 1208 as a significant border point. It was located on the borderline of lands (referred to as Őrség) owned by the guards (őr in Hungarian) entrusted with the protection of Hungary’s western region.
Domonkosfa/Domanjševci – inhabited by both Hungarians and Slovenes where the majority are Lutherans. A part of the village, situated closer to the Hungarian border, used to be referred to as Bükalja and was an independent village until 1885.
Lutheran church – built in 1902.
St Martin church (referred to in the Middle Ages as the church of the Blessed Virgin Mary). The first written mention of the church dates back to 1285. Following the Reformation it was passed into the hands of the Calvinists and 1732 in it was reclaimed by the Catholic Church.
Its recessed doorway is magnificent.

Kercaszomor is a station located along Via Sancti Martini, which leads to Tours, France. This pilgrimage road pays tribute to a major saint in European Christianity, St Martin, who was born in Savaria, today’s Szombathely, in either 316 or 317 AD. Martin was passing through this area when he left his hometown to visit first Italy then Gallia. As a soldier he met a beggar at the gates to the city of Amiens, and he tore his cloak in two and gave one half to the beggar to express his sympathy with the poor and the needy. Later he left the army and set out on a route of pilgrimage; he organised Christian communities and founded a monastery. On his return to Savaria he converted his mother to Christianity. In 371 he was elected bishop of Tours. Because of his great kindness, his benevolence to people and the miracles attributed to him he enjoyed a special esteem and respect. He died in 397.

The St. Martin's stations within walking trail following distances:
Kercaszomor - Domonkosfa /Domanjševci (0.5 km) - Szent Márton Church (2.5 km)
Kercaszomor - Pusztatemető (2 km) - Berki-hill (7 km) - Magyarföld (9 km) - Kerkáskápolna 10 km)

Related gallery

Migratory route recommendation
Learn more about the Events and
Attractions on Facebook!
Galleries
Ják

The St George Abbey of Ják was founded by Marthinus Magnus de Jaak in cca. 1220, and it was consecrated in 1256. Its magnificent recessed doorway is the finest example of Hungary’s Romanesque architecture. The monastery, built adjacent to the church but destroyed in the late 16th century, was the home of Benedictine monks.   .....

 

 

Photos
Contribute and show Your experience!
Community
Join St. Martin,
walk the paths traveled by!