Szatta

Szatta is one of the tiniest communities in the Őrség region. Its inhabitants abandoned the place during Turkish times. The former village (Puszta Szatta) was to the east of the current one, somewhere near the forester’s hut; its place is marked by a memorial column. The Calvinist belfry was erected in 1912. The local cultural centre has a small exhibition on the community’s history.
One section of the path leading to Csöde goes through an area referred to as ‘Barátosa’ (friars). Local legend has it that the geographical name refers to Pauline friars who had a monastery to the west of Alsócsöde during the Middle Ages.
The road leading to Kerkáskápolna winds through Ramocsa, a little village mentioned as Ramcha in 1378. During the Ottoman rule in the 17th century this place was also destroyed. Among the community’s current inhabitants we can find both Calvinists and Catholics: the top of the new belfry tower raised in 1993 the Calvinists’ star and the Roman Catholics’ cross are depicted next to each other.

Szatta is a station located along Via Sancti Martini, which leads to Tours, France. This pilgrimage road pays tribute to a major saint in European Christianity, St Martin, who was born in Savaria, today’s Szombathely, in either 316 or 317 AD. Martin was passing through this area when he left his hometown to visit first Italy then Gallia. As a soldier he met a beggar at the gates to the city of Amiens, and he tore his cloak in two and gave one half to the beggar to express his sympathy with the poor and the needy. Later he left the army and set out on a route of pilgrimage; he organised Christian communities and founded a monastery. On his return to Savaria he converted his mother to Christianity. In 371 he was elected bishop of Tours. Because of his great kindness, his benevolence to people and the miracles attributed to him he enjoyed a special esteem and respect. He died in 397.

The St. Martin's stations within walking trail following distances:
Szatta - Ramocsa (4 km) - Kerkáskápolna (6 km)
Szatta - Csöde (Felsőcsöde 6 km) - Zalalövő (12 km)

Related gallery

Migratory route recommendation
Learn more about the Events and
Attractions on Facebook!
Galleries
Ják

The St George Abbey of Ják was founded by Marthinus Magnus de Jaak in cca. 1220, and it was consecrated in 1256. Its magnificent recessed doorway is the finest example of Hungary’s Romanesque architecture. The monastery, built adjacent to the church but destroyed in the late 16th century, was the home of Benedictine monks.   .....

 

 

Photos
Contribute and show Your experience!
Community
Join St. Martin,
walk the paths traveled by!