Vaspör

Located in Zala county, the first part (vas means iron in English) of the village’s name refers to the iron ore deposits, which can be found in the region; the second part (pör) may have been the name of a person. Bog iron, found in the upper layers of soil in the Vaspör region, was used for a variety of purposes between the 11th and 13th century. In all likelihood, the mediaeval inhabitants of the nearby village of Csatár (today known as Pusztacsatár) used iron ore to make shields and weapons.
On the outer skirts of the village, a number of crosses flanking the road deserve a special mention: on their plinths, numerous saints appear including Saint George, Saint Margaret of Hungary, Saint John the Baptist, Saint Roch, etc.
Pusztacsatár, one of the oldest places of pilgrimage in the Western Transdanubian region, is under the jurisdiction of Vaspör Municipality.

Vaspör is a station located along Via Sancti Martini, which leads to Tours, France. This pilgrimage road pays tribute to a major saint in European Christianity, St Martin, who was born in Savaria, today’s Szombathely, in either 316 or 317 AD. Martin was passing through this area when he left his hometown to visit first Italy then Gallia. As a soldier he met a beggar at the gates to the city of Amiens, and he tore his cloak in two and gave one half to the beggar to express his sympathy with the poor and the needy. Later he left the army and set out on a route of pilgrimage; he organised Christian communities and founded a monastery. On his return to Savaria he converted his mother to Christianity. In 371 he was elected bishop of Tours. Because of his great kindness, his benevolence to people and the miracles attributed to him he enjoyed a special esteem and respect. He died in 397.

The St. Martin's stations within walking trail following distances:
Vaspör - Nádasd (8 km) - Körmend, Szent Erzsébet Church (13.5 km) - Körmend, railway station (15 km)
Vaspör - Pusztacsatár (4 km) - Velence (5.5 km) - Zalaháshágy (9 km) - Zalalövő, town center (17 km)

Related gallery

Migratory route recommendation
Learn more about the Events and
Attractions on Facebook!
Galleries
Ják

The St George Abbey of Ják was founded by Marthinus Magnus de Jaak in cca. 1220, and it was consecrated in 1256. Its magnificent recessed doorway is the finest example of Hungary’s Romanesque architecture. The monastery, built adjacent to the church but destroyed in the late 16th century, was the home of Benedictine monks.   .....

 

 

Photos
Contribute and show Your experience!
Community
Join St. Martin,
walk the paths traveled by!